Book Title: Unity 5 from Zero to Proficiency (Advanced): Create Multiplayer Games and Procedural Levels, and Boost Game Performances (Volume 4)
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Author: Patrick Felicia
In this book, the fourth book in the series, you will learn to create a simple network game, generate levels procedurally, and optimize the performance of your game. This book can be read as a standalone (you don't need to have read the previous books in the series, although it may help) and focuses on four aspects: procedural level creation, database access, multi-player networked games, and code and project optimization (i.e., memory and speed).The main idea behind this book is to save you some headaches when you need to maintain your code or expand your game, and to help you to find the time to actually code your game, by explaining simple and effective ways and best coding and organizational practices that you can use easily to create more code (and games) in less time with less stress and more fun. The content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 1 explains how you can create procedural levels, using arrays, text files, XML files, or images, and avoid spending a lot of time creating your scene manually.
- Chapter 2 explains how you can read and write data from/to a database through Unity to save and update user preferences.
- Chapter 3 explains how to create a simple (but fun) network tank game that can be played by two remote players.
- Chapter 4 explains advanced techniques to boost the performance of your game, and to make your code and project easily maintainable.
- Chapter 5 provides answers to frequently-asked questions.
The book includes:
- Step-by-step activities.
- Challenges at the end of each chapter.
- Code solutions for each chapter.
- Cheat-sheets (i.e., shortcuts, best practice, etc.) that you can download.